Saturday, July 4, 2009

Jallop ll - The near reprieve

The building old, the ceiling damp
a rusty pipe, a makeshift clamp.
The mortar breaks and falls apart
A place not for the feint of heart.

32 rounds an easy feat,
4 rounds each day that must be beat.
Down each new hall he greets his task
a challenge done, with ease it's passed.

Jallop prays his suffering brief
but cannot speed his near reprieve
And soon it comes, alight in dark,
a rose glass window betwixt an arch.

Faced with freedom Jallop waits,
as one not worthy at pearly gates.
With others pushing on behind,
their blindfolds on and vision blind.

He heaves a stone midst perfect glass
and moves to light, his suffering past.
He steps into the fearsome rays
and greets the natural light of days.

He sees his friends, some not prepared,
His peers and colleagues ready. Scared.
unsure of where he fits just yet,
he starts anew, his course to set.

it's black and white, spotted, clear.
There is something better, far from here.
his faith restored, his birth anew,
Jallop sets forth his task to do.

As always I like to present some kind of explanation to my poetry to avoid misinterpretation. The task which jallop encounters at the beginning of the poem is of course High School. He bests it with little strain and feels confident that it is time to leave and move on to something better. Once he is faced with the stained glass window he sees that it is merely a rose-colored glass making everything on the other side look perfect. He hesitates wondering whether or not he is ready but realizes he has no choice. He looks around at his friends and hopes desperately that they have prepared themselves as well. In the end Jallop finds the strength to move forward with faith and conviction as he realizes Leer is with him (black and white spotted).

If you feel confused I recommend you read the first Jallop poem again. I didn't bother repeating the same symbols. And if you want to guess at some of my other symbols I would love to hear the guesses...
32, 4, and the arch.

1 comment:

  1. Mckay, I think this is a wonderful poem, at first I read it I thought it was something more like, someone going through life blind...perhaps (if this is bold sorry,) but without the gospel, and then finally sees the truth and can press forward with faith with the fear of being blind and confused behind you...but I could also see what you were really portraying. good good. I would love to see you depiction of what jallop looks like. I have this fantastic image because of what I know about you and your art, and It is rather nice in my head. you should put that on here or something :)

    ReplyDelete